Texas had the mildest of winters this year–few days barely reached freezing, much less long stretches of frigid temperatures, high humidity, chilling winds.
Now, I’m not complaining about the lack of winter. (Though, I must admit, I do wonder what this will mean for the bug population around here come summer.) I prefer warmer temps. I love being outside. I prefer to walk than go to the gym. I like reading on our porch, which I should be able to do again very soon. But I am anticipating springtime and all it brings. Here’s a list of favorite things about spring to get you tuned to the warmer frequency. I enjoy:
- Being able to go barefoot.
- The smell of flowers blooming, especially lantana. We have lots of lantana in Texas.
- Power walks in the early morning.
- Redbuds in bloom.
- A later sunset.
- Refreshing rains.
- Easter–and the opportunity to focus on the sacrifice Jesus made on our behalf. (Thank you, Jesus!)
- Eating outside–either at home on our porch or at any one of several restaurants in town that offer outdoor seating. (Added bonus: I tend to eat less when I eat outdoors. Go figure.)
- Fresh fruits and veggies. I know I can always supplement with frozen, but I love, love, love seasonal produce.
- More sunshine. I’m a sunshine kind of gal. (Seriously, I must have some kind of hormonal deficiency.) So I crave the warm and whatever else being in the sun provides. (And yes, Mom–and mom-types–I wear sunscreen every day.)
- Watching the first tiny blooms emerge on our perennials.
- Seeing the yard/acreage freshly cut–great smell, too–and being thankful that my husband loves that “chore.”
- Opening all the doors and windows to let in fresh air.
- Wandering through local nurseries to see the gorgeous new plants and blooms.
- Riding my bike.
- Putting fresh flowers in a little vase at the dinner table.
- Trading out winter clothes for warmer weather gear–short sleeves, sandals, capris. So fun!
- Giving myself a pedicure (or splurging and getting a professional one). I just don’t see the need when my toes are tucked inside of boots all winter.
- Going to garage sales. I miss sale-ing over a long winter. Must. Find. Bargains.
- Watching our kittens chase birds. Yes, for some reason they think they can jump 25 feet in the air. Ah, to have that kind of unjaded ambition again!
- Cleaning and organizing things on our porch. We spend a lot of time out there in three seasons of the year. I like being able to “ready” it for our family and for company.
Texas wildflowers, especially bluebonnets. We have a small patch behind our pond that blooms each year. It’s magical. I also love seeing mommies trying to get their toddlers to sit still for a photo op on the side of the highway. (Yeah, good luck with that!)
So, please share. What are you looking forward to this spring? What makes it feel like spring to you?