I recently released a new book about weight loss. In it, I offer reasons why I dislike diets and restricting food choices. But even when we think we have a grip on the external rules, we can still struggle with mind battles. Who’s really in control in our lives? Us or God? When we steal back that control, we fail . . . miserably. I’m living proof when it comes to bondage to food. But deliverance and freedom are available. Need proof? Here’s an excerpt from The Hungry Games: Lose Weight God’s Way & Never Diet Again.
God is teaching me about his ideal woman. He’s helping me realize I don’t have to look perfect or perform to a certain standard to be loved by him. I only have to be wholly devoted to him, desiring to be in his presence daily to be comforted, loved, inspired, challenged, forgiven.
How can I argue with how the God of the Universe chose to make me? The God who wrote Psalm 43, verses 3-5: “Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
How can I be broken-hearted when God is God and he’s on my side?
Though these are things I wish I had known at nine, fourteen, and eighteen, I’m thankful I know them now. Like the girl in 50 First Dates, I just have to remind myself of them daily.
Can you identify with any of these issues?
- Do you struggle with self-image, bouncing between extreme highs when your skinny jeans fit and devastating lows when you have to tuck in your tummy before you tuck in your shirt?
- Do you periodically try fad diets or engage in binge eating?
- Do you hide food?
- Do you hoard food—buying massive quantities, then keeping it only for yourself?
- Do you eat when no one else is around—thinking you’ve outsmarted everyone by meeting your lover in secret?
- Are you sick and tired of the roller coaster of dieting and failing, bingeing then starving yourself?
- Are you weary of the willpower battle that rages in your heart and mind?
- Are you ready to stop counting every calorie, classifying good as righteous or evil, stuffing your face like you haven’t eaten in weeks?
If so, God is ready to help. He wants you to learn to run to him with your cravings and put food in its proper perspective. He longs you to long for him, to desire him with your whole heart, not secretly still courting your real love: food.
Can you identify with this struggle? Is love of food devouring your heart and head? It doesn’t have to be that way!